Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Experiment

Here in the Morgan household we have been running an experiment since March 24th. Yep, for an entire month now!! So, you're wondering what the experiment is, right? Well, I hope so since you are still reading. lol  Anyway, we have been experimenting with washing all of our dishes by hand. I know!! Crazy! But the reality was I was washing many of our things by hand anyway: pots, pans, Disney cups and whatever would not fit into the dishwasher.

This led us to a question. The dishwasher manufacturers keep telling us that their dishwashers are more eco-friendly than hand washing. Well. What kind of hand washing? Did they leave the water running the entire time they were washing? Did they fill a sink, with water, then wash? Just how did they determine this? I don't do any of the above. I only have the water on to rinse the dishes once they are soapy.

Also, the dishwasher runs for three hours!! Three hours?! That seems excessive. Surely, I was not washing dishes for three hours! I wasn't. I assure you. I tend to wash them after each meal, though in the morning there are more from snacks after dinner. So, while my oatmeal is heating in the microwave I wash those few snack dishes. Then after breakfast I was those dishes.

I haven't found it difficult or time consuming. Now, there are days, when after dinner, there are quite a few dishes needing to be washed because I cannot always get to them after each and every meal. But overall, I have found it easy and not really any different from any other day.

John is now, half joking and half not, talking about selling the dishwasher and using the space as a pantry for our canned items. Wow! That would be wonderful. :)

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I've wondered about the dishwasher too. We might have to try this one too :) I just need to clear off the counter so we have room to put the clean dishes to drain.

Marsha said...

Wendy, I have a dish drain on the left side of my sink. I wash and rinse on the right side. I also have a sponge holder on the right, that hangs on the side of the sink.