When we first started homeschooling, I was asked frequently, "how long are you planning to homeschool?" I always said I hoped through high school. I wasn't always sure we'd make it.
Here we are with our oldest a senior in high school and the youngest in 10th grade. Y'all. I blinked. How did we get here? So many math lessons and arguments about English (them not wanting to do it). And yet here we are. We are on the cusps of change.
The oldest has been accepted to the only university she applied to. She choose it because it is the only one in the state with the masters program she wants and she had no desire to leave the state. We are currently waiting to find out how much she is getting for a merit scholarship. Proud doesn't cover it, but I'll leave it at that.
Our youngest is currently studying for the PSAT and SAT for the next school year. She has yet to decide what she wants to do in life, but she is preparing in case she decides to go to college. This year she is taking two math courses to get caught up. Again, proud.
Our view on homeschooling may be unique. It may not be, but honestly, I'm not sure. It feels different. My initial reason for homeschooling was to protect my kids, not shelter. But for protection. There are some crazy people out there in the world and I didn't think a five-year-old is prepared for them. But that is my own opinion.
John and I have tried to teach our girls about the world. We talk about so many of the subjects that other parents (even those in public school) don't or won't talk about. I know college will still be a shock; it was for me and I graduated from a public school. But I am hoping our girls are strong minded enough to protect themselves once they are in college.
I'm working on letting go...somewhat. I am trying to not panic when they want to do something on their on. In a few months, I will have no idea what the oldest does or eats daily. It is so difficult after all this time to toss them into the world and see how the fly. But. {sigh} I'm working on it. I have no choice. Unless...does anyone have a time machine I could borrow?
No comments:
Post a Comment